Thursday, May 2, 2013

Juice Pulp Bread


My Husband and I are big juicers. We love the jolt it gives us in the morning and typically 3 times a week we juice a vegetable blend for breakfast and sip while we get ready for work. On weekends however we prefer a fruitier mix. Makes it taste more like a weekend treat. Also we usually drink a much smaller portion followed by homemade chocolate chip pancakes (because that's what you just do on Saturdays!). This is what we do with all that fruity juicy left over pulp!

 Ingredients:
  • 2 cups pulp from fresh juice (see below for my favorite mix)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 or 2 very ripe bananas
  • 1tsp baking soda
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1tbsp flax meal (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 medjool dates (pitted) 
  • Toasted coconut flakes for topping (optional)

This is my go to juice blend: 3 large carrots, 2 large red apples, 1 large cucumber, 4 celery stalks, 6 medium sized strawberries, and occasionally one orange. The juicer I use is this one and I love it. It's affordable, easy to clean, and pretty compact.
     After I make the juice I set it aside.  I put a hand full of kale or spinach into my magic bullet and puree. Then I mix the juice and the puree together. It's refreshing and delicious!! To make bread or muffins with the pulp left over from the juice blend, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Put all the above ingredients (minus the coconut flakes) into a blender till it's well blended. Then I either just make muffins or one whole bread loaf, and top it off with the toasted coconut before baking for 30-40 minutes.  
    The medjool dates add just a hint of caramel sweetness. If you want a sweeter taste feel free to add 2-3 tbsp of brown sugar. Personally I enjoy mine best when cold, but I can never help myself when it's hot right out of the oven! This recipe will work with any juice pulp really so feel free to get creative.

P.S. My shop and blog are now on facebook! WOOHOO! Feel free to like me over there! :) xoxo
LA BELLA VIA on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Looks so scrumptious and I am planning to get a juicer this week. Kisses, darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living a natural, plant-based, healthy lifestyle! Using Earth's active resources to provide healthy recipes, natural remedies, healing guidance and LOVE on your journey towards optimal health! Juicing, Herbs, Smoothies, Biking, Rebounding, Vegan Recipes and more!

    ReplyDelete