Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Non-Dairy Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream



I like Ice cream. No I mean REALLY like ice cream. So much that I think the first little argument my husband and I had was over the fact that I polished off his Ben and Jerry's Milk and cookies in one whole sitting. Yes, I like ice cream THAT much. So when I gave up most dairy products including ice cream I had come up with some replacements like frozen Kefir, which I made here. While I find frozen Kefir delicious, and refreshing, it's still not ice cream. Oh how I've longed for the creamy texture and soft sweet taste of full fat milk based ice cream. This recipe is creamy, sweet, and so close to traditional ice cream that my husband requested I make a Milk and Cookies inspired version next! I'll have to play around with that idea! For now this strawberry shortcake version hits the spot.

Ingredients
  1. 1 can of full fat coconut milk (to get the closest to real ice cream don't use the light version)
  2. Strawberries quartered and smashed (I used about 20)
  3. 4 tbs raw honey
  4. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  5. 4 tbs coconut cream - This will make your ice cream creamy and also add some sweetness. This stuff has a lot of sugar so you can omit and just adjust your honey if you don't care to use this. It is also very calorie heavy so if your concerned with that, I would suggest omitting.
  6. 4-5 cracked graham crackers. (leave them in chunks)
Directions
    Combine your coconut milk, honey, coconut cream, and vanilla and whisk till everything is incorporated. Add your strawberries and whisk well mashing any larger chunks of berries you see as you go.  Pour your mixture into an ice cream maker and mix according to the directions adding in the graham crackers during the last 5 minutes of mixing. Enjoy!

Makes 6 servings, approximately 250 calories per serving

5 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I am ready to lick the screen! It looks so delicious, sweetie. Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, i make the coconut milk "ice cream" too!! But i dont even do the ice cream maker...this sounds sooo good. Must try. I have just done mint/chocolate. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... I want to make this!

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I bet the coconut milk makes it so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I WANT THAT RIGHT NOW!! YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete