Tuesday, May 7, 2013

8 Day Flowers




         So I'm not going to pretend at all that this is something I came up with on my own. My florist actually let me in on this little trick. I do it now with every flower I buy, save a few that have too soft a stem like hyacinths. But typically this trick can be used with most flowers. All you do is snip your flowers to the desired length for your vase. I use a tape measure after perfecting the length on one and then go along with that measurement for the rest (yes I am that anal!). Take any old hammer and smash the end of the flower stem till it's just broken. This will allow the flower to absorb more water. Sprinkle the flower food, and about 1/2 tsp of sugar into the water and mix up. Arrange your flowers and change the water every other day.  My florist may have told me this trick but I buy most of my flowers at the local deli on my way home on Fridays. I typically don't buy fully bloomed I buy them when they look like they are just about to bloom. This also helps prolong the life.  Enjoy your 8 day flowers!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE. Such great tips! I am going to go buy flowers tonight to try it out!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius! I used to just cut the end diagonally and add a little more sugar plus the flower food, but smashing the ends makes more sense!!!
    Hope you're well hun!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete