Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sweet Potato Coconut Bisque

I love coconut, and I love sweet potatoes. Whats better than the 2 combined? Seriously? Can it get any better? Well yes it can, if your actually tasting it right now!
    So this all started when I decided to combine my newly rekindled love for sweet potatoes, and this  product I picked up at the organic market called "Coconut Manna".  I came across this recipe and decided to try it with a few variations. It came out perfect!




Ingredients
• 4 sweet potatoes
• 1-2 cups of sliced baby carrots
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 small yellow onion, chopped
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 3 cups reduced-sodium tomato-vegetable juice blend or tomato juice
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 15-ounce can vegetable broth
• 1/2-3/4 cup of coconut manna (or peanut butter)
• Generous sprinkle of crushed red pepper
• Chopped fresh green onion for garnish
•  Raw unsweetened shredded coconut

Directions:
  1. Peel your sweet potatoes first. The original recipe calls to prick them and microwave them THEN peel and I did just that. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! My hands were scalded even though I let them cool for 20 min! and the skin was so difficult to peel off. Next time I'll do it the way my gut told me to do, and peel first. You can cook them in the oven till just cooked or microwave for 7-10 min. Your choice.
  2. Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it just begins to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir in juice, carrots, salt, red pepper, ginger and allspice. Adjust the heat so the mixture boils gently; cook for 10 minutes.
  3. Chop the sweet potatoes into bite-size pieces. Add half to the pot. Place the other half in a food processor or blender along with the Veggie broth and coconut manna. Puree until completely smooth. Add the puree to the pot and stir well to combine. Thin the bisque with water, if desired. Heat until hot. Pour into your favorite bowl, add garnishes and enjoy!
Just a side note about Coconut Manna. This stuff is incredible. If you are as much of a fan of coconut as I am, you'll be putting this stuff in EVERYTHING. Oatmeal, smoothies, baked goods, ice cream, spoons....OK yea fine I'll admit I've been eating it by the spoonful out of the jar. It's just THAT good! And it's really good for you and completely raw, no additives, sugar or anything! It may be a bit pricey, but it's worth it!

    3 comments:

    1. Yum that shounds AMAZING!!!
      We can't get Coconut Manna here, I wonder if dried coconut with coconut cream would work...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You could try pureeing unsweetened dried coconut,and you could add a little coconut milk to make it more liquid if you like, but you don't have to. I think coconut cream is used for mixed drinks and has a lot of sugar so just be careful, your soup may be very sweet!

        Delete