Thursday, February 16, 2012

Almond Milk

I don't know what's been with me lately. It's like I've been embracing my inner hippie or something. Quinoa for dinner, spelt flour cookies, and now I'm making my own almond milk. In my defense I am slightly lactose intolerant. I say slightly because it's not consistent. Sometimes I'll have cheese and be fine, other times I'll have a spoon full of ice cream and dear god it's a total nightmare! Maybe it's more of a lactose irritation. Never the less, I have to have non-dairy milks in the fridge for tea, and oatmeal and anything else that is enjoyable with traditional dairy milk. I'll be honest soy is not my favorite. I do love almond milk but homemade VS boxed is like a world of difference. Here's how to make your own:






Ingredients:
• 1 cup of raw fresh almonds
• A Nut milk bag (I got mine here)
• A high speed blender
• A pitcher
• A jar to store the milk

Directions:
Cover your one cup of almonds with water and let soak for 8 hrs. (I like to do this part in the morning so it can be ready when I'm home from work) When you get home drain and rinse your almonds. Put 4 cups of water into your blender, add the almonds and blend thoroughly. Now put your Nut milk bag into your pitcher, make sure its secured around the top enough so that when you pour your blended mixture in, it doesn't fall in as well. Once its all in, pull out the nut bag and squeeze out all the juice. Pour the milk into your favorite jar/jug (mine is from here) and there you go! Home made almond milk! This can be done with any nut not just almonds. I prefer to add a little cinnamon and vanilla extract to mine for a little flavor, but its just as good on its own too. Now I have to figure out how to make this Rice Dream Horchata and I'll be all set for my non-dairy beverage options!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried almond butter/paste? It's really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just amazing. I can't believe you made your own almond milk! I want to try some!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete