Monday, February 4, 2013

The BEST frozen Kefir



 It all started when I decided to eliminate my dairy intake dramatically. I'm lactose intolerant but there are also other personal reasons for my decision to forgo most dairy products. I wont get into that here though, to each his own. So, while I still eat some yogurts and cheese (I can't realistically give up cheese!) I no longer drink milk or eat ice cream. I LOVE ice cream. Ben and Jerry's Milk and Cookies was my complete heaven! So I've been on the hunt for a good alternative to traditional ice cream that will satisfy my frozen treat cravings. I found Lifeway frozen kefir at the organic deli by my old apartment a couple of years ago. For those of you who don't know what kefir is read this. It's 99% lactose free and has 10 live active cultures and probiotics. Sounds like a good treat choice to me! I was hooked. All the flavors are amazing. Unfortunately I cannot find the stuff anywhere around our new apartment. So I decided to give it a go and make some of my own using the Lifeway liquid kefir. This stuff is amazing. My Husband even said it was better than the one from the carton. I could eat the entire batch it's that good! It's not like traditional ice cream, it has the same creamy texture, but tastes more like pinkberry. Only WAY better if I do say do myself!

Coconut Vanilla Frozen Kefir

2 cups liquid Kefir (I used Lifeway low fat plain flavor)
1 cup coconut milk
1-2 tbsp coconut cream (this adds a great sweet coconut flavor feel free to add more of this and less sugar if you want)
3 tbsp Sugar or Sugar Alternative (adjust more or less for personal taste)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp coconut extract

Mix all the ingredients till its all blended together. Put it all in your ice cream maker following the devices instructions for 25 min. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment