Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Last week I stopped at the Organic deli to grab something quick for dinner.  It had been a long day and I really just wanted something pre-made. I opted for the spring rolls since I knew it was pretty healthy. After I forked over the $6 I went home, ate my spring roll that was relatively OK and I thought to myself, with such minimal ingredients, and minimal cooking, I don't know why I haven't tried to make these myself! So a few days later I stopped at the same deli and picked the owners brain for a few and asked about how to work with rice paper. It's really the simplest thing to do! Just soak them one sheet at a time in warm to hot water for a few minutes until it's soft and stretchy-ish (I did a trial run and ruined 4 sheets of rice paper but after that I was a pro!) My first spring roll was a bit too thin and was breaking easily. I realized quickly that they use more than one sheet per roll. Probably 3 or 4 but I opted for 2. Here's how Mine turned out..





 I sauteed my shrimp in soy sauce and ginger with bean sprouts. But they could just be plain, cold, whatever you choose. When working with the rice paper when you pull the sheet out of the water lay it down as flat as can be on a sheet of paper towel. Pat it dry. Then soak another sheet and lay it right on top ( don't worry about water dripping all over the first sheet) and then pat it dry. Then your ready to put your filling in. Whats great about the rice paper is that once you start rolling it, it will stick together holding all your filling in nice and tightly. Two sheets are key because they tear easily so if your top sheet tears in any spot you still have your second sheet in tact!
We ate ours with the filing warm and I wrapped one up for lunch the next day. I don't know what happened but it was incredible! Something about eating it cold with the avocado was just perfect! I've been thinking that these rice paper sheets are a better alternative to regular bread wraps. At only 20 calories each I'm willing to try them filled with anything!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Moe Moe!! You are soo freaking crafty when it comes to so many things (food, fashion, jewelry, etc) - I just love it! Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete